ShipStation is an Austin-based software company that is growing tremendously. We help thousands of customers who sell online using Amazon, eBay, Magento, Volusion, BigCommerce, Shopify, Etsy, Squarespace, and over 65 other online marketplaces. Our web-based shipping applications streamlines the order fulfillment process for anyone selling on the Internet.
We are on a mission to make every seller, wherever they sell and however they ship, exceptionally efficient at shipping orders. We are looking for insanely talented people who want to jump in and roll up their sleeves with us to make it happen. By furthering your career at ShipStation, you'll enjoy the challenging work as well as the especially stellar benefits.
Position: Senior SQL Server DBA
As a Senior SQL Server DBA and member of the Engineering Operations team, this individual is responsible for the research and planning, development, implementation, utilization, monitoring, and administration of databases, primarily MS SQL Server. They are also responsible for the security, integrity, efficiency, scheduling and documentation of the databases. They will establish and enforce written guidelines, rules and standards.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Perform day to day and long term monitoring of system health as it relates to database usage and performance.
- Perform research into database performance issues and come up with solutions to address those concerns.
- Respond to requests for data from internal users in a timely fashion.
- Perform database health checks using SQL profiler, performance monitor, performance counters and DBCC commands.
- Be in an on-call rotation to ensure 24 hour uptime and address of hours issues.
Our ideal candidate is a professional who thrives amidst the challenges of a fast-paced, start-up environment and possesses a natural bent towards common sense thinking and urgency in delivery. You will have the opportunity to bring your energy and passion as the product expert of a high-performing team, working collaboratively on the planning, definition and delivery of ShipStation's product portfolio.
More about you:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field preferred.
- 5+ years in Database Design, Development, Administration of MS SQL Server in Production, Development and QA environments.
- Excellent analytical, Interpersonal and Communication skills, fast learner, hardworking and good team player.
- Expert in database Performance Tuning, using tuning methodology, including enterprise manager, query plans, performance views, trace files and other SQL Server tools.
- Expert in writing T-SQL, including complex stored procedures, functions, views and triggers.
- Good knowledge of configuration management concepts, release management, change management concepts, industry standards and best practices
- Experience in fine tuning indexes for performance improvement.
- Experience implementing data partitioning to improve performance.
- Experience in security concepts as they relate to SQL Server.
- Experience in day to day monitoring of system performance using tools such as SQL Sentry, New Relic, and CloudWatch.
- Able to create effective Backup and Recovery plans by Transactional Log and Full Database Backups.
- Experienced and knowledgeable of high availability and disaster recovery solutions with SQL Server Failover Clustering, Database Snapshot, Log shipping and Database Mirroring.
- Experience with Data Warehouse concepts and implementation to provide reporting solutions for the organization. Experience with Data Warehouse platforms such as Redshift and reporting tools such as SSRS and Bime.
- Experience in creation of SSIS packages for transferring data from various data sources like Oracle, MS Access, MS Excel and Text files.
- Experience in using Excel to create Pivot tables, and accessing multidimensional cubes from Excel.
- Experience with very large databases (VLDB)
Would be great to also have experience with:
Amazon Web Services ( EC2, VPCs. S3, Route53) is a plus
If you are passionate about using technology to solve business problems, enjoy helping customers, and have excellent communication skills, then we want you to join us.
We offer a start-up environment w/ big-company perks:
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Employee Stock Purchase and 401k plans
- Flexible vacation and paid holidays
- Pick your own tech gear
- Weekly catered lunch
- Drinks and snacks of your choice + beer
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled