At ShipEngine — and our sister company, ShipStation — we liberate entrepreneurs of all scales from inefficiencies and complexities in logistics, so they can focus more on what they love: designing their store experiences, building businesses, and engaging with their customers. We solve mind-boggling problems at scale but our passion is really for entrepreneurs and their customers. This has made us the market leader in the eCommerce shipping and logistics space with hundreds of millions of orders and shipments every month.
About This Position
This position is on our API Developer Experience (DX) team, which is responsible for building APIs, tooling, documentation, training materials, and reference code for our developer customers, as well as internal tools to ensure the quality and consistency of our APIs.
We’re looking for a senior engineer to help us build the future of ShipEngine. You’ll be working on our public API as well as building new greenfield projects — both internal and open source. We mostly work in Node.js and TypeScript, but you’ll also be writing and maintaining SDK libraries in multiple programming languages, like PHP, C#, Java, Ruby, Python, Swift, etc.
At ShipEngine, you will...
- Become an expert on our APIs and design patterns
- Work on open source projects in multiple programming languages
- Build tools to help other developers
- Write API documentation, tutorials, and guides
- Create technical content (sample code, demos, reference implementations) to demonstrate usage and best practices
- Help establish and ensure consistent, high-quality API design guidelines
- Have the opportunity to write blog posts and present at meetups and conferences
- Help organize and run community events, meetups, hackathons, and webinars
We’re looking for someone who...
- Has strong API design and development skills
- Is a technical expert who can make well-informed design decisions in-line with best practices
- Can write code in a few different programming languages, and enjoys learning new languages
- Empathizes with users of all experience levels
- Enjoys teaching and enabling other developers to be successful
- Is a skilled writer who can explain complex topics simply and clearly
- Has their finger on the pulse of current development trends in multiple ecosystems
- Excels at generating excitement and positivity about our product and features
- Can work with a high degree of autonomy and limited supervision
- Holds themselves to a high standard of quality and has meticulous attention to detail
- Strong Node.js background and extremely familiar with the ecosystem, build tools, libraries, runtimes and frameworks (experience with TypeScript is a plus)
- Significant experience in designing, building, and using APIs
- Has contributed to open source projects and understands the open-source community
- Familiar with multiple API protocols, such as REST, GraphQL, SOAP, gRPC, etc.
- Proficient in domain modeling and domain-driven design
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Competitive salary
- Casual environment and flexible work schedule
- 100% paid medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Vanguard 401k with matching
- Flexible vacation and paid holidays
- Stocked kitchen, beer Fridays, weekly catered lunches (+ healthy options!)
- Sit/stand desk, and top-of-the-line workstation of your choosing
- Work with the latest technologies
- Contribute to open source
- Speak at conferences and meetups